Thursday 11 November 2010

Captain Mick

After I finished Ballooning I returned to the UK and went on an RYA dayskipper course to learn how to handle a motor cruiser. The first week was classroom based and should have lasted 5 days but as I was the only one in the class and can pick things up pretty quickly the instructor managed to stretch it to 4 days with lots of inconsequential chatter. Lots of new things to take on board like reading tide tables and tidal stream data from an almanac, navigating in tidal waterways using this data chart plotter and admiralty charts. All good stuff if you can get this information but I seriously doubt that the almanac for Freetown has yet been written.

Managed to get the hang of the navigation bit pretty easily and completed the final exam with only one mistake which was due to poor wording in the test paper.

The second week was much tougher as it meant learning how to control a 40' motor cruiser. Never having been on anything this size, the only boat I has driven prior to this was a 14' Warrior with a 115hp outboard, it proved an interesting new experience. Once I learnt how to manoever this craft at slow speed using just the engines it becane a lot easier. Even managed to drive ir backwards round a slalom course with a strong crosswind. Also had to perform a man overboard recovery and learn piloting during the day and in the dark. Helpful that there are buoys with lights in Falmouth herbour and the Carrick roads although wasted in Freetown as there is only a safe water mark at the mouth of the deep water channel.

Anyway managed to do enough that the instructor signed off on my ticket and therefore I am now a fully acredited captain of a small motor cruiser of less that 24m. Although only up to 20 miles from shore. Will need to get 2,500 hours under my belt before I can go for the full yachtmaster certificate allowing me free reign of the worlds oceans.

Hence the Captain Mick title.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo Captain!!!

Which mobile are you using? I tried texting u when u were in the UK but no luck. Am in Istanbul again and yes I am wankered. Again... When r u going to move to a nice country so we can go on the piss?

Cheerio,

Fly by night Knuever.